Calico Kitten Toque Knitting Pattern
Calico cats are special creatures. Not only are they known for their unique and often feisty personalities, but their coat reveals a little about all of us. The colour in a calico cat’s coat is due to a genetic process called X-chromosome inactivation, which (in very basic layman’s terms) determines which genetic material in our DNA is permitted to be expressed. This process isn’t visible in female humans, but it is visible in calico cats. The patterning in their coat reveals which genetic material from their fathers and from their mothers is being expressed, and because X-chromosome inactivation only occurs in females, only female cats are calicos. The interesting thing is that if X-chromosome inactivation was expressed in humans in the same manner as it is in cats, female humans would be calico, too!
The Calico Kitten Toque is a close-fitting cap that’s warm enough to stave off late winter chills, yet light enough for a walk on a spring afternoon. The samples were knit with Ancient Arts Fibre Craft’s Superwash BFL fingering in Calico Cat (orange/black/white version) and Beaujolais Nouveau (purple version).
Proceeds from the sale of the Calico Kitten Toque pattern will be donated to Catnap Society, a feline rescue organization that both re-homes unwanted pets and cares for feral cat populations on central Vancouver Island.
XS (S, M, L, XL) to fit a head circumference of 14”/36 cm (16”/41cm, 18”/46cm, 21”/53cm, 23”/58cm)
- XS: 125-150 yards/114-137 metres fingering weight yarn
- S: 150-175 yards/137-160 metres fingering weight yarn
- M: 175-200 yards/160-183 metres fingering weight yarn
- L: 220-225 yards/183-205 metres fingering weight yarn
- XL: 225-250 yards/205-228 metres fingering weight yarn
- 3.25 mm (US 3)16” (40 cm) circular knitting needles (or size needed to achieve gauge)
- 3.25 mm (US 3) double point knitting needles (or size needed to achieve gauge)
- stitch marker
- tapestry needle for weaving in ends
1x1 ribbing: 32 sts and 32 rows = 4 x 4 inches (10 x 10 cm) on 3.25 (US 3) needles.
Reverse Cross Stitch: 32 sts and 42 rows = 4 x 4 inches (10 x 10 cm) on 3.25 (US 3) needles.